What has surprised me so far at Darden?

We’re about to head into our 6th week here at Darden (5.5 weeks if you don’t count orientation) and we crammed a lot in. I feel like I've been here a long time, know everything there is to know and am an old Charlottesville resident. 

It’s been a massive onboarding exercise as we hear from administrators/ alums/ current 2nd years/ random people on the street on what to expect in the next 2 years:
‘It’s going to be the best 2 years of your life’
‘Don’t expect to eat, breath or sleep for your whole First Year’
‘Section E will win the Darden Cup this year’
‘You seem to be the tallest group of students that Darden has ever admitted’


Interspersed between these unsolicited pieces of comment and advice has been some amazing events including a BBQ at Castle Hill Cidery and Darden's Neon Party (no pictures from that). 


Section E Luke, Megan & I posing in front of the cidery making me feel pretty short. Due to the limited length of arms the only part of the cidery you can see is the windows...sorry
Playing Cornhole in the sun

Beyond the social events, the first term is now over along with some of my first cold calls (I blame the fact that my last name begins with an A)
Section E and room 160!

And a trip to UVA's bookstore with their branded seasonings (I know what my family's getting for Christmas!)


So, as we enter the next term, and after meeting 300+ new classmates, being told for the umpteenth time that Section E will definitely be winning the Darden cup this year and experiencing my first Cold Call in Decision Analysis, Accounting & Marketing this is what has surprised me so far at Darden:

  1. The rumors are true- the professors are the best professors I’ve ever had
  2. The potential of being Cold Called will keep me up at night working every angle of a case with my Learning Team 
  3. Darden wasn’t lying when they said they had an amazing community of supportive students 
  4. I'm pretty sure getting my computer configured so I can join the Darden wireless network was harder than signing up for the CIA’s network 
  5. I had no idea I could consume that many cups of coffee before 1pm
  6. There are so many different types of people and personalities in the class- we’re not all bankers and consultants.
  7. Virginia doesn’t have thunder storms every day in August (sort of sad about this, I feel like Hollywood lied to me)


We’re only about 16% of the way through this first year but so far, it’s looking good!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

I was originally born outside London but spent much of my childhood in Seattle. Most recently I was working for News UK (News International) in London in strategy and insight. I now find myself at Darden pursuing my MBA and hope to use the knowledge gained to start my own consumer goods business. In the mean time, you'll find me trying all the restaurants in Charlottesville, running the streets around town or convincing friends to have an early afternoon drink.