Gettysburg: Lessons in Leadership

There's a week in March, between the end of Core & the start of FY electives, where we have the option of taking an 'experiential'- a week long course centered on getting out in the world for hands-on experiences

Choices include Leadership & Theater, Financial Trading and Creativity and Design Thinking among others. I chose 'Leadership Ride: Lessons in Leadership- Gettysburg' taught by the amazing UVA professor Gary Gallagher. This truly was a wonderful way to learn about leadership & decision making especially under pressure. 

We spent 3 days in the classroom and 3 days out in the field. It was -50 degrees (slight exaggeration) and we spend 9 hours on our feet trudging the fields. Totally worth it. 

(All photos taken by Ali Mehlsak '16. I was far too cold to take my hands out of my pockets to take a photo so she took one for the team)


 In the 'Wheat Field' with Carol Reardon- it finally warmed up for the last hour of the day
Outside Mead's Headquarters 

We even got to try shooting a musket! 


An authentic image of Civil War Soldiers




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

I was originally born outside London but spent much of my childhood in Seattle. Most recently I was working for News UK (News International) in London in strategy and insight. I now find myself at Darden pursuing my MBA and hope to use the knowledge gained to start my own consumer goods business. In the mean time, you'll find me trying all the restaurants in Charlottesville, running the streets around town or convincing friends to have an early afternoon drink.