Darden Eats: Meg's Pancake Day!

Last Tuesday was pancake day (or Shrove/Fat Tuesday depending on where you're from). It is a BIG DEAL back in the UK. 



Megan Vorland heroically hosted a few Section E-ers and put on an epic meal which was AMAZING as I wasn't sure there would have been any pancakes without her. 


She went all out with squash pancakes, parsnip pancakes, dutch babies and then the Ultimate Flipping Pancake. When Meg invites you over, you don't turn her invitation down!



On top of that it was a snow day! So we started at 12pm and just kept going. 

(still figuring out how to focus this camera)

1    What did you think of pancake day? Best day ever?
-          It was really fun to have people over and celebrate this cultural tradition. 5 hours, 4 different pancakes, who wouldn’t love it!

2    Why did you chose the menu items that you do?
-          I really like developing menus around a theme, so creating a menu for pancakes was a blast! I had seen a tv show with the parsnip blinis and really wanted to try that, but the acorn squash pancakes and German apple pancake were items that I have done before and really enjoy. I liked the idea of not everything being sweet so including the savory squash and parsnip. It was even better that it was a snow day because of all the wintery flavors!

3    Why did you decide to come to Darden?
-          I decided to come to Darden because of the size and community. It is also the best school near DC so my hubby could stay at his job! My husband wants to live in a medium size city so to talk me into Charlottesville he took me to some great restaurants to prove you could get a great dining experience in C-ville.

4  Did it match your expectations and in what way?
-          Yes, the community is great! I have also found additional restaurant gems in C-ville, and there are lots more I want to try. Also, so much cheaper than the best places in DC!

    What are your favorite parts of Darden?
-          Wine night, classmates, first coffee, dinner parties, friends, mountains

6   What’s the best part of being in section E?
-          We are clearly the best looking, smartest, and most fun section!

7.                           Eat out or in? IN
Beach or mountain? Mountain, unless there is volleyball on the beach
Beef or Chicken? Beef, but really pork
Wine or Whiskey? Hardest question anyone could ask. Wine, but I am a whiskey girl!
Cases or lecture? It’s all about that case… no lecture
Tea or coffee? coffee
Left twix or right twix? Left


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

I was originally born outside London but spent much of my childhood in Seattle. Most recently I was working for News UK (News International) in London in strategy and insight. I now find myself at Darden pursuing my MBA and hope to use the knowledge gained to start my own consumer goods business. In the mean time, you'll find me trying all the restaurants in Charlottesville, running the streets around town or convincing friends to have an early afternoon drink.