Darden Eats: Rich's Pizza

Rich ['16] & Laka are quite possibly the pizza king & queen. They put on an amazing party with wine, Phil Collins and a schmorgers board of pizza. 

So without further ado- the third round of Darden Eats! 






Me: So Pizza! Why did you decide to make pizza?

Rich: It's all I know how to make. 

Me: Niccceeee, okay. And do you want to know more or are you happy with just knowing how to make pizza?

Rich: Er, yeah! I think I have too many hobbies so I want to focus on one particular aspect of this hobby. Making things that other people consume. Having pizza be that only thing is the way to exercise that. 

Me: That's so cool! And the pizza was amazing. So what's your favourite flavor of pizza? 

Rich: I think the classic margherita pizza. I think that's pretty much it. I think if there's one food I can eat for the rest of my life it would be margherita pizza. 

Me: And are you more of Italian type of pizza person or are you Chicago or Boston? 

Rich: The Boston scene isn't actually that great and I've never really had true Chicago pizza. I've only had Italian, like Neapolitan kind, so I try and recreate that as best I can.  

Me: Well you did a really great job! Moving away from pizza, are you enjoying your time at Darden? 

Rich: It's great! Just crushing exams right now, we have one more tomorrow. 

Me: Which one do you have tomorrow?

Rich: I have marketing tomorrow. Exams have pretty much been my life for the past weekend. I do like how Darden tends to focus on holidays as pivotal points to have exams [at the time of this interview it was Halloween]. 

Me: So true! And, what do you like best about Darden so far?

Rich: So far, I've been pleasantly surprised with the classes. But I had pretty high expectations and everything is meeting or exceeding those expectations. The level of my ability to contribute to the community has been surprisingly good though. 

Me: Yes, you're organising the Seattle job trek! 

Rich: Yeah exactly! I'm surprised they would allow me to take part in that. 

Vincent [guest interviewer]: So, tell us about the ingredients in the pizza. There was a lot of creativity. What inspired you to make these pies?

Rich: Good question Vince. So I found a recipe in some magazine somewhere and it was a little different from all the ones I've seen before. All the recipes I'd seen before hadn't look like real restaurant pizzas. So, I had an idea on what the basics should be and this one was a little bit different so I tried it and it was great so stuck with it. I take some liberty to add some factors to it but feel like I have a decent sense of how to change the dough and texture of the dough and that's pretty much the main thing that you need to know. There is a balance between the type of flour that you use and the texture. So all purpose flour makes chewy dough while bread flour makes crispy dough. Once you figure that out then everything else is easy. 

Vincent: This year, we have all our classes assigned to us. What is going to be Rich's the ingredients to the pie for next years classes? 

Rich: You know, back to the dough analogy, it's all about the balance. I'd like to incorporate as much balance as I can. So, having general management classes and having finance classes and marketing classes, I think it's imperative to have balance in your life. I don't want year two to be too crispy? Or too chewy. It's about bringing those together. 

Me: What is the gluten free class? [I made him make me a gluten free pizza]

Rich: I have not yet figured out the gluten free class. I think it's just Play Doh with ketchup on top. 

Me: It was amazing despite what you think. So, moving on to the final portion of the interview. Quick fire! 

Rain or Snow? 
Snow
Cheddar or Mozzarella?
Mozzarella
Beer or Wine? 
Beer, no wait, wine! 
Hats or Hair?
In my youth hats, but now hair. 
Innie or Outie? 
Outies are weird. Innies. 
Moped or Motorcycle 
Oh, motorcycle 
Finance or Economics
Finance, finance for sure
Mountain or Beach? 
Mountain? 
Stallone or Schwarzenegger?
Stallone
Bourbon or Scotch?
Bourbon! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

I was originally born outside London but spent much of my childhood in Seattle. Most recently I was working for News UK (News International) in London in strategy and insight. I now find myself at Darden pursuing my MBA and hope to use the knowledge gained to start my own consumer goods business. In the mean time, you'll find me trying all the restaurants in Charlottesville, running the streets around town or convincing friends to have an early afternoon drink.